Monday, March 11, 2013

Week 3

Over the course of this week I spent my time stringing two heads of the same heads with identical techniques.  My brother wanted two of his redone so I did them both identically.  It is important to do them similarly because he needs to be able to switch at a moments notice.  Two heads are used in case one breaks, and in a game situation you have a limited time to switch between sticks and warm up.  When you do end up goin in you have to trust your stick and not second guess using it.  If there is even a slight difference then the users throwing skills will be greatly affected.  This week I also used a different type of mesh.  Instead of the Promesh that I used last week I used traditional hard mesh.  This mesh holds a pocket better after being strung but I noticed that it is much harder to stretch out.  Whereas with the Promesh it took me only a few minutes to stretch it, it took me about 15 to stretch the hard mesh.  I also used sidwall specific stringing.  This made it more dificult because it is thicker and rougher.  This makes the sting more annoying to fit through the holes, and more annoying on the hands.  The one good thing about the sidewall is since it is thicker it is also stronger and can likely work longer,  and is less likely to break.  I will likely post pictures of the heads tomorrow after I get  chance to pound the pocket more.
I also used two specific stringing styles for how I chose to string the heads.  I used stingings performed on Lax.com labeled, "Stringing with Boomer," and a STX sponsored Youtube teaching named, "Stringing with Tizzle."  Theses, combine with my experience from my first week culminated in what I feel to be the best project.
These upcoming weeks I will be something different.  Instead of the mesh stringings that I have done the past couple of weeks, I am going to start using leathers and cross laces.  I will be stringing traditional which is instead make of stringing  the cross laces together to create the mesh.  This stringing is also different for the fact that, whereas the other three either went into immediate use or are ready for use or are ready to be a backup.  This stringing is much more challenging and time consuming, and for that reason I am delegating two weeks to the work instead of the usual one.

3 comments:

  1. Patrick, I love this project so much because I can relate. I have been playing lacrosse for a while and I can personally relate to how frustrating it is to have to switch between sticks. In the past I have found it hard to switch between different styles of stringing. Different people have different preferences. I love how you plan on using different materials and I think it will be cool to learn new styles. I know that in the past I have spent a lot of time and money getting other people to string my sticks for me. With enough practice I think it would be awesome if you made this a part time job and start charging people money. Perhaps you could help me string some of my sticks in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that what you have done so far is good and quality work. Though I know that you are probably already very comfortable with just stringing in itself, so I think you should start focusing your attention more towards what aspects of the stringing effect how the pocket preforms in relation the ball. I think by mastering these ideas you will gain the best understanding of your topic. In addition, if you understand these ideas, eventually you should be able to come up with your own stringing possibly that works for your type of playing.
    Anyhow, good job so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are your lacrosse sticks going to see battle before the presentation? It'd be very cool for the audience to see some footage of its use. If not, then perhaps you could just do some practice with it and film that. Either way, I'd love to observe it in action. Good luck with your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete